Wednesday, May 14, 2008

11 Jan 2008 - Pearls and Gem from Surah Al Baqarah [letter 2 Verse 30 ]

Friends ,

Consider this conversation several hundred 'millineum' years ago when time was not even there :

"And when thy Lord said unto the angels ; Lo ! I am about to place a viceroy in the earth , they said:Wilt thou place therein one who will do harm therein and will shed blood,While we hymm Thy praise and sanctify Thee ? He said :Surely I know that which ye know not [30]"

Last night I met a Dato Dr Abdul Razak bin Kechik at a "watering hole" near the old Subang Airport , one of those big mamak nasi kandar place .A diminutive man in his early 60's .Spent 30 over years in Kelantan as a medical officer and retired as the state medical pengarah there .This is the type of chap that make me feel small and insignificant .He is a giant in humanity and indeed a viceroy in his own simplicity .

Has been doing missionary work over the last 35 years amongst the orang aslis all over Malaysia on his meagre government stipend and 'collections' from friends here and there .When I asked why he did so his reply was :" why not . There is a total vacuum there ,the Anglicans , the catholics and what have you are having a field day" .I met him to repay him some money as my annual contribution , a meagre sum and even then I forgot to in 2006 zakat assessment and this good doctor advance that for me to pay to Majlis Agama Islam Perlis .

He did collection for them and given a fraction for which he uses for his missionary work .He even forgot for a year that he had used his own money to pay my zakat . Mashaallah , ada lagi malaikat di dunia ini !.There are many people like Dr Razak working as ' viceroy in the earth '' but only Allah '' know which ye know not " .

Meeting such ' giants' make me feel 'naked' and small ! You give me a cocky Tan Sri or a Datuk who seem to forget that outside their titles they are just feeble humans like the rest of us ,I know how to put them in their place [ 'ask such questions as how is that little chap doing these days for example '] but not guys like Dato Dr Razak. He is a giant amongst men !

Dr Nik Howk

No comments: